Wednesday, August 12, 2015

Interview with Mary Casanova!

Today, I have a very special treat! It is an interview with five time American Girl author, Mary Casanova! She has written four Girl of the Year series of books for American Girl, and one for American Girl's series called "Girls of Many Lands" back in 2002. The title of the books Mary has written are: "Cecile: Gates of Gold", "Jess", "Chrissa", "Chrissa Stands Strong", "McKenna", "McKenna Ready To Fly", "Grace", "Grace Stirs It Up", and "Grace Makes It Great". Mary Casanova is SOOO nice, and I had the opportunity to meet her at the American Girl Place Boston on August 7, 2015. So, without further a due, lets get to the interview!


EDS: Which Girl of The Year book did you have the most fun writing?

Mary Casanova: Honestly, every book and character I’ve written for American Girl has been a wonderful, challenging, and fun opportunity! The first character I wrote was a girl living in the early 1700s in France when AG had a series called “Girls of Many Lands.” My book was “Cecile: Gates of Gold” and it required spending a week of research at the palace of Versailles. (Readers of GRACE will understand why I wanted to weave a short trip to Versaille into Book 1, after getting to know that palace life so well.)

The next book was my first “Girl of the Year” for 2006- JESS- and it required doing jungle research in a country south of Mexico called Belize. I loved the adventures there; canoeing in bat-filled caves, camping out in the jungle, listening to howler monkeys . . .

Then came 2009 and CHRISSA, a story about a girl who stands up to bullying. That story didn’t require research away from home, but it did demand lots of research about bullying—swimming and llamas—to make the story work.

In 2012, McKENNA made her debut as the “Girl of the Year.” I traveled to Seattle, volunteered at a therapeutic horseback riding center, and interviewed and watched a young, talented gymnast as part of my research. McKenna is awesome at gymnastics, but not so great when it comes to reading. I could definitely relate to her reading challenges, as I struggled with reading when I was in elementary school.

And this is the year of GRACE! I loved going to Paris to research book 1, and I loved spending time on the east coast to create her life in Massachusetts. I identified with Grace’s passion and ambition. I do love to bake, but I especially love to write. At 16 years old, I decided I wanted to be a writer; it took years of hard work to get published, but I’m so happy I didn’t give up on my dream!


EDS: How do you come up with your storylines for your books?

Mary Casanova: I have written many novels for other publishers, but when it comes to writing for American Girl, it always starts with a phone call. I’m asked if I would be interested in writing again for them. (Of course!) And I’m given a few elements to think about: baking, Paris, starting a small business.

The key is for me to find a way to start making a character real—a character I truly care about. I can always find a way in, some personal connection. Sometimes that comes from my own experiences, and sometimes it comes through the research process. But there’s always a character there, waiting to tell her unique story!


EDS: What do you love most about working for American Girl?

Mary Casanova: I just returned from a visit to American Girl stores in  Washington DC, New York city, and Boston (where I met you!) I’m a writer, which means spending most of my time working alone; but meeting enthusiastic, young fans of my work is such an honor. The readers of my books remind me why I love writing for American Girl!


EDS: How long does it take to write a series of books for AG?

Mary Casanova: When I first wrote a book for kids, twenty years back, it took me four years to finish a short novel called MOOSE TRACKS. I didn’t know how to write a 120 page novel with a beginning, middle, and end. My box of revisions is quite heavy! But I’ve learned to become a better writer, to revise recklessly, and not let fear stop me. So when I get an offer to write for American Girl, I jump right in and get to work. Believe it or not (I can hardly believe it), I researched and wrote all THREE books for GRACE in a little less than a year. It was hard work, but years of experience as a writer made it possible. Plus, I fell in love with her character, and each day was a joy making her stories come to life!


EDS: Which doll that you've written about do you feel most connected to?

Mary Casanova: I think I feel most connected to Grace. Perhaps it’s because she’s the newest of my American Girl dolls, but as I said in Question #1, I connected with her passion and ambition. Like Grace, I’m filled with ideas, and sometimes my family (we have two adult kids who are now married…and my husband) . . . they need me to slow down. Just like Grace, sometimes my ideas and enthusiasm get a little ahead of those around me and I have to take a deep breath!


More from Mary: "Fans who want to connect with me can find me at my website: www.marycasanova.com. From there, readers can send fan mail via e-mail or snail mail. I always reply (at least to the first letter)!"

"Merci beaucoup" ( that's French for "Thank you very much") for the interview!

No comments:

Post a Comment