Friday, July 1, 2016

An Open Letter to My Classmates

Greetings, classmates who have found my blog, Instagram & YouTube channel! Welcome!

Well, now that you're here, I feel like I need to explain some things so that you don't get the wrong idea of what I do.

I DO NOT "play" with dolls.
I AM NOT like Melanie Martinez in her music video for "Dollhouse".
I AM a collector and a photographer.
These ARE inanimate objects.
These ARE photography subjects.

It's really as simple as that.

I am a photographer.
I prefer to photograph inanimate objects, similar to many other nature and lifestyle photographers.

I am a collector.
I have been collecting American Girl Dolls and their clothing and accessories since I was four years old. Over the years, my collection has grown. I have always enjoyed the idea behind the American Girl brand, inspiring girls to follow their "Innerstar" and do what they enjoy, regardless of what others think, and the background stories relating back to American history.

If you know me well, you know that I am extremely interested in the history of our country. My interest in American History stemmed off of constantly reading the series of American Girl books when I was younger that followed pre-teen girls in pivotal moments in America's past.

If you visit my house, you may notice the six foot by nine foot American Girl Doll sized dollhouse. Like I have previously mentioned,  I have accumulated quite the collection of dolls, furniture and accessory pieces. Not only does the house serve as a creative storage piece, but also as a nice background for photographs.

When I was eleven years old, I started this blog and realized how much I would love to have a career in the American Girl brand someday. I love the idea of inspiring young girls to be powerful women in the future. I would also love to help continue to educate children on the history of our country through the stories told by American Girl.

When I began to experiment with photography, I was looking for something to photograph. My extensive collection of American Girl Dolls were there, and so I began to photograph them. A little while after I started to photograph them, I found an online community called AGIG. It was filled with accounts who, just like me, were doll collectors and photographers. That is simply what I do, and I do not feel as if I should be judged for my passion of photography, even if you find my photography subjects to be "creepy" or "weird".

 If there is one thing that I hope you take away from reading this, it's this: It's just photography with the use of inanimate objects. I do not "play" with dolls. I am a photographer and a writer. If, after you read this, you still choose to judge or make fun of me because of my interests, that's fine by me.
Just don't ask for my help in AP US History come Junior year. :)

"Allow your passion to become your purpose, and it will one day become your profession."
-Gabrielle Bernstein

2 comments:

  1. I love playing with dolls and can you please comment on my blog: https://americangirldollschatclub.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete