Wednesday, June 17, 2015

The Cabin Conundrum: A Photo Story

STARRING:
CASSIDY AS CHLOE
SAIGE AS SUSANNA
MCKENNA AS ANNIE
CHRISSA AS DEANNA

BASED OFF OF THE STORY "CABIN CONUNDRUM" BY ABBY S.
GRAND PRIZE WINNER (AGES 8-10) OF THE AMERICAN GIRL "FINDING FRIENDSHIP STORY CONTEST" FROM 2011.

Link to "Cabin Conundrum" by Abby S


It was a very hot day at Camp Aspen, when Susanna and her best friends Deanna and Annie went back to their cabin for rest time, after a long day at the pool. Annie had brought some magazines for the three girls to look through.


"Hey Chloe! Do you want to come hang out with us?" Susanna called across the cabin to Chloe who was sitting alone.


Chloe looked up, but didn't say a word before she started reading again.



"Ugh. She thinks she's too good for us just because she lives in Chicago and we live down here in disgusting Louisiana," Annie said.

"Yeah. She hasn't said a word to us the entire time she's been here," Deanna added.

The counselors told all of the campers to pick a partner to fish with.


Annie and Deanna quickly linked arms, leaving Susanna alone with Chloe.


"Uh-oh," Susanna thought. "This is gonna be a very long day."



After rest time was over, the four girls walked down the big hill where Camp Aspen was located, and had a fishing lesson.

Susanna and Chloe found a very good fishing spot near a couple of rocks.


Susanna had already caught 8 fish, before Chloe started talking.

"Susanna, you are so good at fishing! I haven't even caught one yet, and you've almost caught ten!" Chloe exclaimed.

"Thanks," Susanna replied. "My brother taught me in the creek in back of our house. Hey, do you hear those crickets?"

Chloe didn't answer. She didn't even turn to face Susanna.

"I said, do you hear those crickets?" Susanna asked again, a little louder this time.


Still no answer, but this time, Chloe turned around to face Susanna. Her hair was thrown off of her shoulder revealing something tucked in Chloe's ear.

Saige opened her mouth to say something to Chloe, but then the counselors blew the whistles, signaling its time to head back to the cabin.

Later that night, after dinner before they went to sleep, Susanna crept over to Chloe's bed.

"I hope you don't mind me asking, but what was that I saw in your ear this afternoon?" Susanna asked curiously.


Chloe turned beet red.

"Well," she started say, "I have trouble hearing. I always have. So I have to wear hearing aids."

She pulled back her hair to Susanna could take a peek.


"Wow! Cool!" Susanna replied.

"Well, its not that cool. Sometimes they make me hear so much that I have to turn them off to concentrate," Chloe explained.

"Is that what you did during rest time today? We thought you just didn't like us!" Susanna said.

"No! Of course not. I thought you all wouldn't want to hang out with me because I'm too different," Chloe confessed.

"We'd love to hang out with you! Do you wanna hang out with us for the rest of camp?" Susanna offered.

"I'd love to!" Chloe replied as they hugged before going to bed.


~THE END~





3 comments:

  1. Great message! I love her hearing aid :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my gosh this brings back so many memories!! I entered that writing contest back in 2011 (before I even got back into AG or had dolls - I still got the magazine and found it that way) but I worked so hard on my story and thought for sure I would win... I remember reading this story and probably being upset that I didn't win but it was 4 years ago when I was 10 so my story was probably really bad anyways XD

    ~fireworkdolls

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aubrey,
      This brings back memories for me too! I remember I entered with my mom and cousin's help. I worked so hard on that story! When I found out I didn't win, I was crushed. I was sure AG hadn't received my entry, and spent the entire day crying when I found out I didn't win. Looking back on it now, my story didn't hold a candle to this one! This was one talented 9 year old who wrote this! The idea for the story alone is fabulous. I actually still have my story framed in my doll area! My story was so bad! Haha. I was ten when this happened too!
      ~Alexa

      Delete